Thursday, August 13, 2009

Everyone should have a Plan B


Do you have a back up plan? A Plan B?

If everything goes pear shaped, or worse still nothing actually happens do you have something to fall back on? Another plan? Another route? Another thing you can do?

I bring this up because of a quandary I find myself in.

I've wanted to do some study for awhile now. I'm 30 and I've had numerous jobs but nothing thats got me excited in my soul. I currently work in Aged Care looking after the Aged and Frail in their own homes and while I really enjoy it and get ALOT of job satisfaction out of it, it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I want to study but study what? I've thrown a couple of ideas around but they always come back to one of two things...Counselling and then go on to do a Psych Degree =or= Massage, Reiki and Reflexology. The first option was always my favourite choice, I'm a good listener, my friends always come to me for my advice and I enjoy being able to help them out with their problems. For some reason Bikerman doesn't think that I'd make a good Counsellor (though everyone else I've mentioned it to does!) because I'm so opinionated but I disagree with him and I can actually turn my opinions off (but lets not tell him that!).

I've made some enquiries about a course to get a Diploma in Counselling. It's a course done via distance education, it's self paced (though they say you should be able to finish it in 24 months) and to do it would cost me just over $4000AUD. It would be paid monthly at a cost of $189AUD.

I got the information yesterday and really thought hard last night whether to do it or not. This morning, I had an epiphany. What am I waiting for?

I've put my life on hold and not committed to anything "longterm" for near on 10 years no just "in case" I get knocked up with sprog. I didn't want to get knocked up only to say "oh this is is shitty timing beause of x, y or z". And so I committed to nothing.

This morning I thought, what if I get to my 40th birthday (in just under 10 years) and still no children (if thats the case we won't be having any) and I look back on my life and go "what the fuck have I done with the past 40 years?"

I don't want to get to 40 and have no children but nothing else either. I don't want regrets. I need a back up plan and I think I just found one.....

6 comments:

  1. DO IT!!! I think it is a wonderful idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it!!!! Its one of the most liberating things I decided along my IF journey! Life goes on and we have GOT to be living it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I began studying nursing with very little intent to finish ... of course, I thought I'd get pregnant and postpone my studies. Alas, four years after I set out on the path to become a RN and still no baby!

    I am living proof that time waits for no man. Do not wait. The years will pass no matter what. Besides, education is never ever wasted.

    You deserve to feel good about what you do, love your life, and be happy. I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. do yourself this favor and go for it!
    We should stop putting life on hold for something that may happen one day. One day is too far away, and always improbable. Today is what we have. Live in the present as much as you can. Do everything at hand to educate yourself, to make yourself more interesting, happier, fuller! Even if motherhood is your main goal, we are always larger than that. There are always other parts of ourselves that need attention, so nurture them! IF makes me feel incompetent towards life, and this is so not true. We have to take our power back wherever we can. Good luck!
    (and thanks for commenting on my blog, I really appreciate your support)

    ReplyDelete
  6. GO for it!!!

    You can't put your life on hold for what may or may not be. I have been at this for 3.5 years now and am attempting to come to the terms that we may not ever have a family. So hard and so heartbreaking. But I am determined to have a fulfilling life regardless. So I live by that phrase.

    I think that it is a great thing to do and it will be very rewarding career. My aunt is a child psychologist - maybe something you could do in the future?

    ReplyDelete